The original Carnegie library building was built using the generous donations
of Andrew Carnegie. It is one of 69 Carnegie libraries built in Nebraska
between 1899 and 1917. The cornerstone was laid July 26, 1912, and
the library was in use until the currently library building opened in December
1999. The Carnegie building is currently used by the Madison Historical Society.